The air is getting colder, the days are getting shorter, and we're coming up on that magical time of year that means something special to everyone...It's time to update your press kits for 2011!
World of Concrete is coming early this year (Jan. 17-21), and the holidays are going to cut into that time. If you have not already started revisions, now's the time to do so.
Even if your company does not attend WoC, this is a good time of year to look at existing materials, add new product announcements, remove outdated articles, and find new photos. A good press kit is a must if you are attending trade shows, and are also a valuable sales tool. In addition to the 5 Essential Press Kit Pieces I recommend, here are a few useful stories to consider for your 2011 press kit:
- Have you had any major staffing changes?
- What's new in your product line? This can mean new products or updates to existing ones.
- How's your company weathering the recession?
- Have you started a new blog? Facebook page? Relaunched your website?
- What challenges or changes do you see for the industry in 2011? How can your company help architects prepare for them?
The point of a press kit is to get publishers to write about you and your product. They are unlikely to do so if you give them the same "news" you gave them last year. Some pieces will have enduring value, especially if they provide important background information, but as a general rule of thumb you should have at least two new pieces.
Consider too how you will use your press kit digitally. I still recommend having paper copies for distribution at the show, but posting the information online is a good way to get additional search traffic and makes future distribution easier.